This blog is written by Linda Style, co-founder of Bootcamp for Novelists Online, for Bootcamp students and anyone interested in writing and would like to to talk (mostly) about writing related topics. I can't guarantee I won't talk about other things, but I can always relate it to writing in some way. If you'd like to post something yourself, email me at bootcamp4novelists2@yahoo.com or through our website - BootcampforNovelists.com. I love to have guest bloggers as well.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

VIVE LA ROMANCE!


LOVE – it’s the universal emotion of mankind. Who cannot relate to being in love? Who doesn’t understand the love of a mother for her child, a child for his puppy, a puppy for his master? A man for his woman? A woman for her man? Wars have been waged for love. . .thrones abdicated.

From time immemorial, writers have been penning stories about men and women overcoming all obstacles for love. Odysses wanted to go home to Penelope, Cinderella wanted to marry the Prince, Romeo wanted Juliet, Marc Antony wanted Cleopatra, Richard wanted Elizabeth and Rhett wanted Scarlett. Many of the most famous and enduring stories are about love and romance. Is there any question that we all want love? We need love. Whether it’s romantic love, motherly love or puppy love, we’re obsessed with it. So, why is it that we celebrate such a grand and wonderful emotion only one day out of the year? Shouldn’t we be paying attention to each other all year long?

I don’t know why love, the elixir of life, is taken so for granted. Perhaps it’s because, as wonderful as it is, love isn’t always wonderful and, perhaps, the same day some of us romance our sweethearts, for others it will be a day of sorrow and pain? How can something so wonderful and which brings such happiness into our lives, also cause so much pain? These are questions I ask all the time. Why? Because I write romance novels and it’s my job to create a believable romantic story.

So, what exactly is a romantic story? Romance, as defined in Webster’s New World Dictionary, is a long medieval narrative in verse or prose, originally written in one of the Romance dialects, about the adventures of knights and other chivalric heroes. Secondly, Webster’s lists romance as a fictitious tale of wonderful and extraordinary events, characterized by a nonrealistic and idealizing use of the imagination, and third, a type of novel in which the emphasis is on love and adventure. The list goes on with other variations, most of which play on the same theme of false or exaggerated feelings and emotions. The word “Romantic” follows the same path and includes definitions such as “without basis in fact,” and “preoccupied with ardent, idealized lovemaking.”

Good grief. It’s no wonder the romance genre gets so much bad press. No wonder readers hide the cover of their romance novels when in public. Even though we all want and need love, we’re embarrassed to admit it. And men seem to be more embarrassed than women.

Except on Valentine’s Day! We have one day in which it’s okay to proclaim our love. . .and not be embarrassed about it. How silly is that?

Well, I’m sorry. My definition of romance is nothing like Webster’s. To me, romance and being romantic is a very real part of life. It’s a man bringing his lady flowers for no reason at all. It’s a woman putting a note in her husband’s lunch bag telling him she loves him. It’s seeing the ocean for the first time, hand in hand with the one you love. It’s watching a beautiful sunset, or seeing the sun rise over the horizon. It’s taking a date to a restaurant or a movie because you know she’ll love it. . .even if you don’t. To me, being romantic is seeing the world in Technicolor rather than black and white. It's the feeling you get when you hear your favorite song on a moonlit night. It's the streets of Paris in the spring, a glass of wine at a little outdoor cafe in Sorrento. It is men and women simply being with each other. . .living in the moment and creating wonderful memories.

Those are the stories I like to create. Real life stories with strong plots in which two interesting individuals face tough choices, overcome the odds and find a future together. While my plots may involve a serial killer or two, there’s nothing exaggerated or false about the story or the romance. Yes, in my books, the hero and heroine make love. In fact, they love to make love. . .with the person they love. To me, that’s romantic!

What’s your definition of romance? Who do you believe is more romantic -- women or men? I’d love to hear what you think.

Leave a comment and you’ll be automatically entered to win the “Romantic” turquoise bracelet pictured. The drawing is on the 15th, so be sure to check back to see the winner!


And for all you romantics out there, HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY!!

Don't forget, Bootcamp for Novelists is celebrating our 2nd anniversary all month long, and you can register for classes at a discounted price. Be sure to check out Connie’s blog as well because she’s giving away a prize on the 15th, too.
www.bootcampfornovelists.com

4 comments:

Kayce said...

As for who's more romantic...men or women...I would normally have said women. However, I recently surprised myself when my boyfriend said something about wanting to stay in town this week so he could be here for Valentine's Day on Monday. I caught myself staring at him like he'd lost his last marble and wondering, "Huh? It's just Valentine's Day." Okay, my story is going to be that all of those un-romantic men in my past have ruined me. Now I've got to go and come up with a romantic plan for Monday...before I have to turn in my "girl" card! I still say it's women...my story, I'm sticking to it. :-)

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I agree that women are normally more romantic than men. February is my favorite month because of Valentine's Day. Of course, it is also the anniversary of my older son and his wife who were married on Valentine's Day. It was a simple ceremony performed by a judge, and yet the most romantic wedding I've even been a party to.
My son was also born on Feb. 29th, a leap year baby. Like I said, Feb. is my favorite month!

Linda Style said...

Hi Kayce. Thanks for stopping by. I love your name. It's the same as my granddaughter's. :-)

Men can be so romantic, and it's even more romantic when they do something you never expected they would do. And lately, I'm meeting more men who actually admit to being romantic souls, but say they show it in different ways. Hmm.

I'm not convinced. I still say it's women, too. :-)

Linda Style said...

Hi Jacqueline! Wow, how smart is that to have your anniversary on Valentine's Day. I bet your son will never forget an anniversary or VD. :-)

I can see why February is your favorite month. Happy Valentine's Day...and Happy Anniversary to your son and his wife. :-)

Okay -- we're three for three on women being more romantic. Does anyone think men are more romantic? And if so, why???