This blog is written by Linda Style, co-founder of Bootcamp for Novelists Online, for Bootcamp students and anyone interested in writing and would like to to talk (mostly) about writing related topics. I can't guarantee I won't talk about other things, but I can always relate it to writing in some way. If you'd like to post something yourself, email me at bootcamp4novelists2@yahoo.com or through our website - BootcampforNovelists.com. I love to have guest bloggers as well.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Cheers! Salute! A votre sante! Slainte! Prost! Ysas!



Salud! Mazel Tov! Oogy Wawa!

Come join the fun! We're celebrating Bootcamp for Novelists’ second Anniversary on February 15th, and because we’re in a celebratory mood, we want to give you an anniversary present!

During the entire month of February, all classes will be $25. Check it out at www.bootcampfornovelists.com.

It's hard to believe Bootcamp for Novelists is two years old already. And like anyone with a birthday, we’re wondering where all the time has gone. It seems like just yesterday that we were brainstorming how to share our love of writing--and our knowledge and experience in publishing--with other writers.

We started with a germ of an idea...and a shared belief that anyone can learn to write a novel if given the correct tools to do so. We wanted to share what we know through a format we wished had been around when we were beginning novelists. That format was one that would take students from the beginning idea and story structure, all the way through the advanced techniques, to the end of the novel. That was our dream. In the beginning, putting together a program that hit all the right notes was a bit daunting, but the concept was so exciting, we forged ahead. And, thus, Bootcamp for Novelists Online classes began on February 15, 2009.

During the past two years, we've been delighted to get to know many of you who've been taking our classes, and we’ve had the pleasure of reading some very excellent work. We've learned a lot, both as writers and as teachers. We learned how to work more efficiently with Yahoo online groups. We learned what to do and what not to do when posting lessons and giving feedback. We learned what classes work well and which need to be restructured. We learned from each other...and, yes, we learned from you. And that is exactly as we had envisioned it.

We were lucky. So many times in life, the greatest efforts don’t turn out as envisioned, and when that happens, it requires another look to see what needs changing. This part wasn’t too hard for us because we’re writers. Writers are constantly revising. The harder part is looking at our strengths. How often do we look at what we’re doing right? How often do we capitalize on our strengths? Not very often is my guess.

As writers, we should continue to learn and grow as artists, and part of that growing is recognizing what we’re doing right. We need to find our strengths, capitalize on them ... and then make changes. I’ve seen far too many manuscripts with a fresh, exciting voice end up sounding as if it could've been written by anyone. There’s no distinction. No personality. The magic is gone.

Don’t let that happen. It's important to know and understand the methods...and then decide how to make them work for you. Protect who you are, because the magic in any work of art is what the creator brings to it. The magic is you!

I'm curious. What are your thoughts when you’re revising or looking at feedback on a story? Do you go directly to what isn’t working...or do you look for your strengths and try to capitalize on them? Do you know what your strengths are?

Leave a comment and you’ll be in the drawing to win the beautiful turquoise bracelet in the photo. We'll be celebrating all month long, so be sure to stop by and chat both here and at Connie's bootcamp blog. Prizes will be involved. :-)


UPCOMING BOOTCAMP CLASSES:
February 11 to March 11
2B - Dynamic Plotting
2P - Deepening Characterization

March 18 to April 15
3B - Scene Sculpting
3P - Escalating Consequences

April 22 to May 20
4B - Conflicts That Sizzle
4P - Strong Plots and Subplots

We're now on Facebook! Come join us and be part of the Bootcamp for Novelists Community page. Start a discussion with other writers...or just let us know what you're up to. We'd love to see you!

11 comments:

Charlotte M. Liebel, Author said...

Thanks for the great February prices, Linda. Even better ~ love to win the romantic bracelet!

Almost ready to take one of your BootCamp sessions and trying to decide the best one for me.

Congratulations on this birthday celebration.

Sharlet

Robert J. Sadler said...

Happy Birthday Bootcampers! Congratulations.

Having a mentor, like Linda, willing to 'share the secrets', so often kept under wraps, is a real plus. I've always spoken up for poetic intent for poets and author's intent for novelists; i.e., "Say what you want to say, the way you want to say it." So I applaud Linda's principle of, "Protect who you are, because the magic in any work of art is what the creator brings to it. The magic is you!"

Sounds to me like she can help you do that!

All the best
Robert J. Sadler

Donnell Ann Bell said...

Linda, happy birthday! You ask an interesting question about what we look for when reading. That's tough. When you're a writer, you tend to look to see if the author knows her craft first and foremost. I'd call it a joint look if that makes sense. Does her character draw me in, the hook, the pacing, the plot. It's one big package IMO. One thing won't make me put down a book, several flaws will...does that make sense? LOL Congrats on your second year!

Linda Style said...

Hi Sharlet. Thanks for the congrats. I've really enjoyed working with the students in my classes and look forward to seeing you in one of them!

Your name is in the drawing, so keep you fingers crossed. :-)

Linda Style said...

Hi Robert,

Thanks for dropping by...and for the congrats and best wishes. Poetic and authors intent says it perfectly.

Supporting and mentoring other writers comes naturally to me, and I remember well those who did the same for me. I feel blessed that I work in a genre where so many are so supportive.

Many thanks for your thoughtful comments.

Cheers,
Linda

Linda Style said...

Hi Donnell.

Nice to meet you. You are so right that what draws a reader isn't one element, it's many.

I think how a writer revises his own work is similar. We look to see that we're connecting in all the right places and that we've followed all the so-called rules of writing. But, in doing that, we can sometimes get overzealous and edit out all the personality. I'm curious how many writers look at their voice and what their strengths are before revising. I know I don't do that as much as I should, and I'm going to make a concentrated effort to do more of it in the future!

Thanks for posting. Stop by again!

Linda

Donna Del Grosso said...

Linda,
I absolutely love your Boot Camp classes! You and Connie are wonderful teachers and I learn a lot with every one I've taken. Congratulations to you both, you deserve it!

Karen said...

Hi Linda,

I loved your 5P Emotion class, and I've signed up for more boot camp already. : )
I usually try to focus on weaknesses and make them strengths, but if I get overwhelmed I stop trying to fix too much and let the words flow.

Jo Jones said...

Linda - the idea of finding what we're good at as writers and building on that is as lovely as your bracelet. I'm looking forward to your February class.

Jo Ann Jones

Linda Style said...

Donna, Karen and Jodi -- thanks for stopping by and for all the kind words about the Bootcamp classes. I truly enjoy teaching, especially when I see a developing writers' work grow and become distinctive. I never cease to be amazed at the incredible talent out there...just waiting for the right publisher.

I wish you could all win the bracelet! :-)

Write on, Ladies!

Linda Style said...

Oops! I meant Jolie. Bad fingers. Bad, bad fingers.