This blog is written by Linda Style, co-founder of Bootcamp for Novelists Online, for Bootcamp students and anyone interested in writing and would like to to talk (mostly) about writing related topics. I can't guarantee I won't talk about other things, but I can always relate it to writing in some way. If you'd like to post something yourself, email me at bootcamp4novelists2@yahoo.com or through our website - BootcampforNovelists.com. I love to have guest bloggers as well.

Friday, October 15, 2010

The Case for Older Heroes...

Older heroes? First it’s Bruce Willis who at 55 plans to take out the bad guys in his next Die Hard movie. Yes, number 5 is in the making. Hmm. Maybe Willis is trying to prove that old guys actually do die harder? Then there’s Sylvester Stallone, 64, and some other …uh, shall we say, more mature, compadres who seem to have heard the call. The Expendables recently hit the screen, featuring none other than Stallone, Mickey Rourke, Dolph Lundgren, Jason Stratham, Jet Li, Willis and the Arnold himself--all a bit older than the usual action star. Willis and Schwartzenager only had cameo parts, but it’s still a well-rounded cast of aging action heroes. As a writer longing to feature heroes who are a tad older than my sons, I have to ask, are readers willing to get involved in stories with older men as the heroes? If the box office is any gauge, then the answer looks like a big “yes.”

And the guys above are not alone. Red, another movie with “older” action heroes will soon be released. The movie also stars Bruce Willis...along with several other mature actors. Now, I can suspend my disbelief long enough for a laugh as an aging Willis takes out a helicopter with a car (Die Hard IV), but I don’t know if I’m ready for a barrage of geriatric action heroes. Maybe it’s a case of denial…or the fact that all the older heroes seem to be presented as funny. I don’t know. Anyway, I had to check it out.

The movie Red is a parody of over-the-hill- action heroes based on the cult DC comic’s graphic novels about a team of geriatric ex-CIA Agents. Red stars not only Willis, 55, but also Helen Mirren, 65, Morgan Freeman, 73, John Malkovich, 56, Richard Dryfus, 62, and Ernest Borgnine, 93. Really? I mean…really? Okay—the success of the novels alone is enough to make me curious...and after seeing the movie trailer, I have to say, I can’t wait to see it!

And that’s what brings me to ask...are readers ready for older heroes in a traditional romance novel? I say, given a good story, anything goes. But because of the type of books I write, my heroes are almost always in their early 30s, meaning 31 or 32. The only truly “older” hero I’ve written was in my first book--one of my most successful, btw. The hero turned out to be the little girl’s grandfather. Granted, he was a young grandfather, but he was over 40. I’d like to do a little more of that.

That’s not to say I haven’t read some romance novels with older heroes here and there. I have. But it's not the case in “most” of the romance novels I’ve been reading. And, fact is...I like my heroes well-seasoned. I like them to know what the world is all about. While I don’t see older heroes, say in their 40s and, gasp, 50s, becoming the norm for the traditional romance genre, I like them, and it would be nice to see a few more here and there.

What do you think? Do you like your heroes well-seasoned? In a well written novel, will die- hard readers of traditional romance embrace older heroes? This inquiring mind wants to know.

15 comments:

Eve Paludan said...

Make him at least 40 years old. Then there won't be any of those silly misunderstandings that keep the H/H apart for the last third of the book, misunderstandings that could be easily cleared up with one conversation. I also like more mature heroes because of my own age. LOL.

Kathleen O'Brien said...

Linda, this is a very interesting topic. It's hard to create an older hero with the same vigor, passion and optimism as a younger man, but when it's done well it's magic! I'm eager to hear what everyone else prefers in a hero.

Linda Style said...

Hi Eve. Yes, I so agree...misunderstandings are a problem, and usually I don't get to the last third of the book when that happens. This problem, I suspect, however, may be more of a story/characterization issue than the age of the hero. :-)

Linda Style said...

Hi Kathleen. Thanks for stopping by. You're absolutely right on the difficulty, especially where optimisim is concerned. But we writers love a challenge, don't we? :-)

I'm also eager to hear what others think.

D'Ann said...

Funny!
Today I read a blog post about virgin heros by Monica Burns. I lean toward the younger man version, but isn't that the beauty of it? That we can all write what we want, and there's room for them all?

Jacqueline Seewald said...

I'm pretty easy on age. However, there's nothing wrong with having a young couple and an older couple.
So there's two romance plots that interconnect--one major, one secondary.

LindaStyle@cox.net said...

How funny, D'Ann. Yes, how nice that there is room for all. Like the virgin hero, the older hero is "outside the norm" and I think while both are doable, romance readers don't want a steady diet. Both, however, are difficult to write...and get right. :-)

Thanks for weighing in!

LindaStyle@cox.net said...

Hey, Jacqueline! I do see this frequently...with the older couple as a subplot, but have you ever seen the reverse? That might be interesting. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Absolutely! Romance heroes could be far more mature than 32. The challenge might even encourage a burst of creativity in the writer. A hero could easily be 66—to pick a number at random—and still be believable! Think of Sean Connery playing the role. What else is there to say?!

Anonymous said...

I agree, romance heroes could be older, 40-50 would work, and it makes good reading to have him more worldly and mature, however, it's difficult to envision an older hero with the same stamina and passion as a younger guy, 66 may be pushing it.

It doesn't really flow well when, while in the throws of blinding lust, searing passion and ripping off cloths, the H/H have to take a small break waiting for the blue pill to kick in.

Linda Style said...

What interesting comments this morning, especially the last two...both of which make my imagination switch into overdrive. :-)

Anon #1, I can easily envision a hero who may be 66 or so...(Sean Connery, Harrison Ford, etc., and I love the older guys. This works beautifully if we're talking mainstream novels, or even single title, then almost anything goes. Traditional romance...a different ball game.

Anon #2, you do have a point about the "mature" hero. Romance is very much about being in the moment, and I have a hard enough time figuring out how to add the protection and still keep the romance alive in a scene. I like writing challenges, but...

Dooley Girls said...

What is it they say about 'age, cunning and experience' can beat the young, inexperienced and energetic?

Harley Jane Kozak has the Wolley Shelly Series ... Simon Alexander is an FBI Agent who has everything going for him (including sex appeal and stamina) and is pushing 50.

Why not?

Caroline Clemmons said...

I agree with Eve. I hate those silly misunderstandings that arise from lack of maturity. When I try to think of a young actor whom I find heroic, I'm baffled. I think Keanu Reeves no longer qualifies, nor does Nathan Fillion or Noah Wyle. It's sad when a guy can't admit his age, ie. those who have to have a younger woman every decade. But some men mature gracefully. Who doesn't think Sean Connery has? As Kathleen said, done properly, it's magic!

Linda Style said...

Hi Lisa. I love that quote! Let's not waste all that cunning and experience. lol. Simon Alexander is a good example. He does have everything going for him in Harley's mystery series.

Linda Style said...

Hi Caroline. Thanks for weighing in. I'm loving all the opinions and so far, and it seems to be a yes for older guys, but not too old...and as long as he's matured gracefully, looks like Sean Connery and has a good amount of vigor, passion and optimism. And...if the writer can put it all together well, we're in business. :-)